Navigating Nelnet: A How To Guide on Making Extra Payments
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE READ MY DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO.
Welcome to the fourth blog post in the series of making payments on individual student loans. Today we're teaching you how to make an extra payment on Nelnet student loans. A huge thank you to @debtfreejd for helping put this informative blog post together.
Whether you’re following the debt snowball or debt avalanche, targeting your student loans individually is the most effective way to pay off your debt. Instead of spreading an extra payment across all loans, focus on one loan and throw every single penny at it until it’s paid off. Then move onto the next one.
Debt snowball: paying off debt from smallest to largest balance no matter the interest rate
Debt avalanche: paying off debt from highest to lowest interest rate
Note: If you've consolidated your student loans, payments on individual loans aren't possible.
Login to Nelnet through their website or application. The app is available on the AppStore and Google Play. The application reviews are not great. If you do not have an account, you can sign up by clicking Register under the Log In button.
Cybersecurity Tip: Use a strong password and change it every 90 days. While you might not care about people logging into your account to make a payment, keep in mind that your bank account information, home address, email address, and phone number are all stored in the Nelnet portal.
Click Make a Payment or click the Payments drop down and select Pay Now.
On the next page, select Pay By Group.
Enter the amount you want to pay on the specific student loan and change all the other loan amounts to zero.
More Ways To Save
- Light and Airy Photographer - Make your Instagram aesthetic professional and polished with the Light and Airy Lightroom Filters.
- Amazon - Shop all my favorite products on Amazon. Plenty of money saving finds and ways to make your life easier.
- Capital One 360 - Got an emergency fund sitting in a 'traditional' savings account making .010% interest? NO! Get a Capital 360 high yield savings account. It's time to start making money on your money!
- EasyBudget - Check out the debt free community's leading debt snowball calculator.
- Lastpass - Stay safe and secure online when you use Last Pass for your passwords and digital security. Why is this so important? Visit my article on Instagram Security today.
I'm Amanda. My husband and I paid off $133,763 of debt in less than four years! During our journey, I realized what my true passion was in life: helping others become debt free and reach financial independence. You can learn more about us here.
Join thousands of monthly readers!
About Amanda Williams